Monday, April 09, 2007

easter weekend

I traveled to Lincoln, NE for Easter. I LOVE my ipod. It is the best car companion a single girl can have :) I arrived in town and went to the ACE store my dad manages. He said he made an appointment to get my car detailed. YEAH!!!!!! I have always wanted to do this and it totally lived up to my expectations! Only down fall, now I was with out a car. We ate at Runza, a Nebraska original, it always makes me feel like home. Then I needed to go to the grocery store. There is one next to the ACE store. It is a little neighborhood store. I call it the blast from the past store. They have a weird selection of foods. The spices for baking are actually in the meat isle?? Everyone knows everyone. All of the customers stand around a chat about their weekend. They do not have actual meat in packages, it all has to be purchased from the meat counter. Which I hate, because I never know what I am asking for. The produce isle has a produce natzi. I put an onion in my cart and he rushes over and grabs it out, weights it and puts it in a brown bag with the price on it. For some reason I like to buy my groceries with out having to deal with a bunch of people, especially the produce natzi. Now I head for home to make a 5 layer chocolate pie that needs to chill for 4 hours. 4 hours I do not have.


Earlier in the week I purchased the Betty's Pies recipe book from Amazon.com. If you are ever in Two Harbors, MN, Betty's Pies is the place to stop. So I thought it would be fun to make my favorite pie from Betty's. Since it is 5 layers it takes a while to make. I actually ended up putting it in the freezer to speed cooling time. The pie turned out pretty good. I think it may have been better if I had allowed it more time to cool.


This is the 20 lb fur ball that helped me make the pie. He loves to sit and meow at you when you are in the kitchen. Especially anytime you turn on the faucet. Doing the dishes around him is very difficult. He is water obsessed!

Around 6 pm on Saturday we went to my aunts for Easter dinner. Baby Grover was there. I did finally finish the baby blanket. It actually turned out a little larger than I thought it would. I guess he can grow into it. Below is a photo of the finished blanket. I kind of wanted to keep it for myself :)

One of our holiday traditions is Rainbow Jello. Or as we like to call it Hell Jello. I was the chosen one to provide this dish for Christmas. It takes about 4 days to make, since you have to let each layer totally set up. Hence the name Hell Jello. My aunt decided to try it out for Easter. I read her the recipe over the phone. I assumed she knew how to make jello...instead of boiling the water to mix with the powder, she used hot tap water. Well, none of the Jello would actually set up or dissolve. It was a runny, gooey mess. It kind of looked like a science project. Of course it was my fault because I did not tell her to boil the water. Who does not know how to make Jello??


The last cool thing about Easter was dad gave me a drill press. YES a drill press!!! I have been wanting one to drill the holes in my jewelry. The regular drill makes my arm feel like its going to fall off. I guess drilling through metal is not the easiest thing. A guy dad works with sold it to him for $30. Which is a great deal. A new one costs around $100. I can't wait to use it!

Happy Easter :)



3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

i love your life.

i am pretty sure we were meant to be twins. i mean, really. pie and cats and rainbow jello and a DRILL PRESS. what more could you possibly ask for out of Easter?

except the Lord rising, and saving us for forever, i mean?

:)

KristieLou said...

i could not agree more.

why has it taken us so long to figure out how much we have in common?

:)

Unknown said...

I think the produce guy sounds kinda scary. I will try a piece of the pie anytime, thanks...

Your blanket is cool. Mine is still in the same place you saw it last...I haven't crotcheted lately.

Happy Drill Press! and Easter.