Thursday, April 19, 2007


for crying out loud...

Yesterday was designer learning day. The speakers favorite saying was..."for crying out loud". You know its going to be a good presentation when that is his favorite quote.

Actually the preparations for this day began on Monday. I unwillingly volunteered to be the food committee for the all day event. I already had Honey Baked Ham lined up for the lunch but I had to take care of drinks and snacks. So Monday night I went to Sam's. I hate Sam's. I do not have a membership card. Why would a single girl have a card for a store where the smallest quantity of a product is 1600? So I borrowed the Paulsen card and set out on my journey. I did not know where anything was, since I never go there. About half way though my shopping my shoe broke. It was one of those cute little black ballet slipper type shoes and the button to the cute little strap popped off. Number 125 why I hate Sam's! My shoe breaks there. So I get home with all my supplies and it takes 26 trips in the house to carry in the 10 - 12 packs of pop, 7 dozen muffins and 3 dozen pieces of fruit. All together we were feeding about 70 people.

On Wednesday morning, the morning of the workshop. Mike picks me up @ 7:00 am. I talked him into helping me since he has muscles and a blazer. All that crazy food would not fit in my car. So we start loading up the food. Mike goes to pick up the bananas and drops them through the stairs in the basement. Yikes. The only way to retrieve them is to bend a hanger into a banana fishing pole and fish for them. After a few minutes he retrieves the bananas and we are on our way. We stop to buy ice and then to the event location.

We get there and start unloading the food and setting up. The sign-up begins @ 8:30. It is now 7:45 am and I have not started the coffee. It is generally not a good idea to have the person who never drinks coffee and does not know how to make coffee in charge of that. The first couple of people drank more of a tea than coffee.

The learning began. Designers are kind of a strange group of people. My friend Bobbi said it best...where else can you find a room full of people who get excited about ruler lines? Yes, its true, the strangest things make up happy.

Lunch begins and I realize we have run out of water. Since I did not drive, Mike dropped me off, I borrowed Jon's car and headed to Hy-Vee. You know how if your credit card is not signed the cashier usually checks your drivers license. Well I had my fancy AIGA name tag on. The cashier said...I guess I don't have to check your license. (Note to self, you look like a dork if you wear a name tag to Hy-Vee).

Back to the presentation. The afternoon session was good. I think we learned a lot. Its funny how once you get something like that all set up, you forget that you have to take it all back home with you.

After all that, I was kind of tired last night. I tried to stay up to watch my new favorite show. Shear Genius. (It's like Project Runway, but with hair styling.) I fell asleep before the end of it and missed who got kicked off.

It was good to be back at work today :)

3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

yeah.

i had to go and get subs and tater chips for my group on wednesday too. all i wanted to do was take my shoes off and sit alone in a corner.

who knew that being a snack lady is even more challenging than being a designer?

:)

Anonymous said...

banana fishing! that's priceless! BAHAHAHA

K~ said...

Hey, Loved the serving size comment about Sam's! At my house, that really make a difference! HOWEVER, the trips from cart to car to house is a DRAG! K~