Wednesday, March 26, 2008


easter & a road trip

I know I am a couple of days late but I do have to post about Easter. I left Sioux Falls on Saturday morning and arrived in Lincoln, NE at about 12:30 pm. Our family was having Easter dinner on Saturday night so everyone could attend. I was in charge of dessert. I made fancy chocolate mousse with whipped cream (not from a can or container) with crushed Oreo's in the bottom of the fancy goblet. My aunt was the hostess. After dinner we played games on the wii. Oh, I am so addicted! I LOVE guitar hero. I kind of want to buy one, but they are kind of expensive. It was a fun pre-Easter evening.

The next morning dad and I decided to go see the Sandhill Cranes. They migrate from Mexico to Canada and make a stop over in Nebraska. They stop at the Platte River from March 1st to April 1st. So we packed up the truck with coats, cameras and munchies and headed to Grand Island, NE. It was a little cold and windy that day, but we survived.

The cranes sit in the fields all day and eat the grain that is left from the harvest and at night they come and roost in the Platte River. Well, technically on the sand bars. We staked out our viewing station and took our place at 7:00 pm. It is kind of a weird to see 300,000 birds fly over. They also make a cool cooing sound. If you would like to watch them land you can do it on the National Geographic website. They have a Crane Cam. Here is the link http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/cranecam/ viewing hours are between 6:30-8:30 am cst and 7:00-9:00 pm cst (yes I am a nerd). It really is an amazing site.

So that was my Easter weekend. It went super fast, but it was fun :)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a good time:) Glad you got some nature in your weekend.

K~ said...

Wow, I want to go there! K~