Friday, January 12, 2007



a winter evening project

This is the fireplace Dad and I have just recently finished. I think one of the things I love most about it is...more decorating space! Last night I took down the feather Christmas trees and re-decorated. This print has been sitting on my desk at work for about a month. I ordered it online from one of my favorite artists, Sabrina Ward Harrison. Last night I made a trip to Hobby Lobby (I'm not sure what I would do without that store). I bought the frame and the mat, and finally completed the project. The very cool vases are from my cool Paulsen friends. They gave them to me for my birthday. Now my living room is happy. Maybe I should clean the rest of the house this weekend so it feels as good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love, love, LOVE the fireplace. Does it take the chill out of these cold winter night? I would love one upstairs in our living room.

bobbione8y said...

i too want the scoop on the fireplace!!

gas? electric? wood burning?
from a kit or made from scratch?

total size?

difficulty factor on scale of 1 to 5?

I WANT YOUR DAD!!!! oh, and a fireplace.

KristieLou said...

ok, the fireplace scoop...

It is a gas fireplace and it is ventless. That means it does not have a chimney. It uses the oxygen in the room. If there is not enough oxygen it shuts its self off. If you have a drafty house built in 1919, running out of oxygen is not a problem. They company that sells them, also sells surrounds but we chose to build our own. It is basically a box built out of plywood with the oak and tile on top of it. Of course I wanted to design my own and not purchase one of theirs. It is not a very large insert. That is the reason I purchased it. Dad had seen it at the ACE show for a couple years and the size was perfect for my smaller living room. Total size of the whole fireplace is about 36 inches. I will have to look up the actual fire place size. I think its about 20 inches wide.

This is the disclaimer area:
Dad & I are rebels when it comes to home remodeling. So there was not a permit issued in the installation of the fireplace. Technically you are supposed to have a professional cut the gas line and hook up the fireplace. Of course, Dad did that himself. If I had to do that by myself I would have that done. The tiling was super easy and it was fun. Dad did the wood work because he has every tool ever sold through Ace Hardware. But over all the project was not bad.

Disclaimer #2:
After instillation was complete Dad told me that ventless fireplaces are not legal in every state/city. So I guess I'm not sure about this one...